With the Ullama Squash you brought us, we made the soup recipe I mentioned - and was it ever good!!! Spicy, flavorful, inexpensive and easy to make and only 66 calories per serving. We followed the recipe (below) with two of our usual additions: more garlic and more habaneros!
L's Kitchen - Spicy West Indian Ullama Soup
Serves 5 , 5 cups
* 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 cups chopped peeled Ullama Squash or butternut squash (about 1 pound)
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 teaspoon minced and seeded habanero pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, or more, minced
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
* 2/3 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
* 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free or homemade chicken broth or vegetable broth
* 1/4 cup water
* 2-3 bay leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion, celery, pepper, and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves.
2. Place half of the squash mixture in a blender, and process slightly so that there are still chunks. Pour pureed mixture into a bowl; repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until heated.